Skip to main content

The Greatest Salesman In The World - Og Mandino


Brief Personal Take

When I first got this book I was looking for a book that would teach me to sell, but it taught me more than just that. The advice in this book is applicable in daily life or when you’re working to achieve something.

It’s written in the form of a story featuring a young man who wants to earn to be a salesman in an ancient city. He learns the hard way, on the job, how the world can be unforgiving when working on your dream. Finally, he learns from his mistakes to become a better salesman.

It’s fun to read, and if you’re

a fan of the richest man in Babylon, then this one will also do for you.

Happy reading.

 

 

Notes

·        So far as material wealth is concerned, there’s only one difference between me and the beggar outside Herod’s place. The beggar thinks of where his next meal will come and I think only of the last meal that will be my last.

·        No my son, do not aspire for wealth and labor not only to be rich. Strive instead for happiness, to be loved and to love, and most important to acquire peace of mind and serenity.

·        Truly many times you have heard me say that the rewards are great if one succeeds but the rewards are only great because only so few succeed.

·        Many others face despair and fail without realizing they already possess all the tools needed to acquire great wealth.

·        Many others face each obstacle in their path with fear and doubt and consider them as enemies when, in truth, these obstructions are friends and helpers.

·        Obstacles are necessary for success because victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats.

·        Yet each struggle, each defeat, sharpens your skills and strengthens your courage and your endurance, your ability, and your confidence and thus each obstacle is a comrade in arms forcing you to be better ... or quit.

·        Each rebuff is an opportunity to move forward, turn away from them, avoid them and you throw your future away.

·        Furthermore, you’re embarking on the loneliest journey of your life. It is this period of loneliness that temptations comfort you. How you meet these temptations will greatly affect your career.

·        Never feel shame for trying and failing for he who had never failed has never tried.

·        Failure will never overtake you if your desire to succeed is strong enough.

·        In truth, the only difference between those who have failed and those who have succeeded lies in the difference of their habits.

·        Good habits are the key to all success. Bad habits are the unlocked door to failure.

·        Form good habits and become their slave.

·        Make love your greatest weapon because there’s non who can defend against its force.

·        I will persist until I succeed. The prices of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in order for me to reach my goal.

·        Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.

·        Always I will take another step. If that’s of no avail, I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.

·        I will remember the ancient law of averages and I will bed it to my good. I will persist with the knowledge that each failure to sell will increase my chance for success at the next attempt.

·        Each nay I hear will bring me closer to the sound of yea.

·        The problems of my home will be left in my home and likewise, there is no room for problems of work at my home.

·        I will think not of my family at work for this will cloud my thoughts.

·        Live each day as though it is your last. Today is another opportunity to become the man I know I can be.

·        Therefore, each hour of this day will I cherish for you it can never return.

·        Avoid with fury the killers of time. Procrastination I will destroy with action, doubt I will bury under faith and fear I will dismember with confidence.

·        Weak is he who permits his emotion to control his actions; strong is he who forces his actions to control his thoughts.

·        Cultivate the habit of laughter.

·        Laugh at the petty happenings of today even if they are misery. For what can take place before the sun sets which will not seem insignificant in the river of centuries.

·        Always remember these 4 words; this too shall pass.

·        And so long as I can laugh, never will I be poor.

·        This then is one of nature’s greatest gifts and I will waste it no more. Only with laughter and happiness can I truly become a success and truly enjoy the fruits of my labor.

·        Multiply your value a hundredfold. I am like a grain of wheat with one difference. The wheat cannot choose whether it be fed to swine, ground for bread, or planted to multiply.

·        I have a choice and I will not let my life be fed to swine nor will I let it be ground under the rocks of failure and despairs to be broken open and devoured by the will of others.

·        Let the world; instead, approach me with praise and may I have the wisdom to receive it in humility.

·        My dreams are worthless, my plans are dust, my goals are impossible.

·        All are of no value unless they are followed with action.

·        Never has there been a map, however carefully executed to detail and scale, which carried its owner over one inch of ground.

·        My procrastination which has held me back was born of fear and now I recognize this secret mined from the depths of all courageous hearts.

·        Now I know that to conquer fear I must always act without hesitation and the flatters in my heart will vanish.

·        Action reduces the lion of terror to an ant of equanimity.

·        For now is all I have. Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labor of the lazy.

·        When the lion is hungry he eats. When the eagle had thirst he drinks. Lest they act, both will perish.

·        I hunger for success. I thirst for happiness and peace of mind. Lest I act I will perish in a life of failure, misery, and sleepless nights.

·        Success cannot wait. If I delay she will be betrothed to another and lost to me forever.

·        This is the time. This is the place. I am the man.

 

 

The Ten Things That Will Make a Great Salesman

1.    Form good habits

2.    Give love

3.    Persist until you die

4.    Remember you are nature’s greatest miracle

5.    Live this day as if it is your last

6.    Be master of your emotions

7.    Laugh at the world

8.    Multiply your value hundredfold

9.    Act and act now

10. Believe in a higher power

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts

Unfuck Yourself - Gary John Bishop

Brief Personal Take Reading this one started out a little slow for me but it became pretty interesting as I went on reading starting right around the “You got this” chapter going forward. I bumped on this book  while looking for a book on business, but its title just caught my eye. Because it’s only a hundred pages long, I ended up reading it instead, and I’m glad I did.  It’s a motivational book which from the words of the author “is a conversational slap from the universe to wake you up to your true potential...” Its topics are geared to change the way you view life from inside out. The biggest lesson I took here is that you’re never going to

The Book Of Mistakes - Skip Prichard

Brief Personal Take I love it when an author finds a way to deliver his message to a reader through a story. That’s what Skip Prichard did with this book . He does a great job of telling the perfect story to get his message across. Message received Skip. The message is simple; in order to lead a happier, more fulfilling life, there are 9 mistakes that you ought to avoid and practicing the opposite of those mistakes is the secret  to